Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Musical Influences Part 2: Steven Curtis Chapman

If you have had any conversations with me about who I think the top songwriters of our day are, then you have heard me talk about Steven Curtis Chapman. When I was in my teens, Steven Curtis Chapman was the first contemporary Christian singer that I had listened to. All of the youth kept referring to this new song that they called, “Saddle up your Horses”. Come to find out, the title was “The Great Adventure”. This was a watershed moment for me musically. I had only been familiar with southern gospel music as far as christian music goes and this was something I was attracted to immediately. Contemporary music was still considered “heathen” in the rural areas in which I lived but this heathen was going to have more impact on me than I realized. Obviously I am not alone when I say that he writes music that relates to people. I am not the only person who thinks so. Steven Curtis Chapman has won so many Dove Awards that they have been jokingly called “The Stevies”. I have patterned much of my songwriting after this guy. The way that he takes thoughts and phrases them. Some of them are elaborate and others very plain and powerful. I think our words, whether common or colorful, need not get in the way of the message. This guy excels at both. I have never talked to Steven Curtis Chapman but if I had the opportunity, I would thank him for the hours of thoughtful phrasing that have made the gospel clear and made the glory of God central. Steven Curtis Chapman is one of the most overlooked guitarists in the music industry. His playing has been overshadowed by his writing and singing. But he is a fine musician. If you arent’ convinced, try playing his stuff like it is suppose to be played. It’s not your common 1’s, 4’s, 5’s, and 6 minors. You have to know your instrument well. Here's a clip I like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this song. Huge influence of my musical taste as well, although it's funny to see him dressed up like he is in this video!

Anywho, got a google alert for josh martin(me as well) and stumbled upon your music and site.

I work in a church also, creating and leading student led worship bands which are actually all pretty phenomal. Great music and keep up the work. I tried to get to your youtube page but couldn't find a link to it.