Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Why do we want to believe it?

In all of my study of "The Da Vinci Code" refutations I am yet to see anyone answer this question; Why do people want to believe it? This question staggers me more than the claims in the book. We know what Dan Brown says and we know what prominent theologians and every pastor with a blog says, but none of them answer this question. (at least none that I've seen. They may be out there but I haven't seen them.) Here are some thoughts on why I believe people want to believe it. Not why they believe it, why they want to believe it. 1.) Everybody loves a conspiracy.--I must admit that I myself would rather watch "Conspiracy" on the History Channel to see the theories about the JFK assasination than study his credentials to be president. Who doesn't love a good UFO story?! Does anybody remember the guy who worked at Area 51 that came out talking about the aliens he saw only to be dismissed as having never worked there. I have watched hours of that stuff. 2.) It is much easier to justify my actions if the standard has been lowered.--All sinners look for justification, just not at the same place. Our only hope as sinners is the righteousness of Christ. There is no hope offered in a fallible Christ. Many people find justification for their actions in believing there are no absolute truths. Let's be honest, this is exactly what this boils down to. 3.) There is power in numbers.--Over 40 million copies sold, translated into 42 languages. The average reader has a tendancy to think they are somewhat "smart". "If 40 million people are buying it, it must have something to it." People don't want to be ignorant of religion or history, they just are. When was the last time you knew of a church history book selling over 40 million copies. After picking up this fictional book most readers will retain small, seemingly insignificant statements from this book and assume them as fact. If I read a fictional book about a teenager in a gang on the streets of New York, I don't assume that teenagers, gangs, and New York are fictional. I could go on and on but there really is no need to. I am sure that you have reasons why if you think about it. Tonight my youth are going to learn about the Council of Nicea. ha, ha. I couldn't imagine ever hearing that in youth. Ignorant kids make ignorant adults.

No comments: